Friday 20 June 2014

Tardis Insanity

My husband and I love to watch TV shows together. He introduces me to so many shows I would never watch...Firefly, for example, or Game of Thrones...and we get to be geeky together. This was definitely the case for Doctor Who, a show I've heard about forever but never had any interest in watching.

Then my hubby brought home season one (of the reboot, not the 1960s version) and we began our marathon of Doctor Who. We've watched right up the present except for the two specials (Whovians will understand what I mean) and we're hooked.

To thank the guy who let us borrow his DVDs (a friend of my husband's from work) I came up with the idea of making him a Tardis pillow. I found one by Trillium Designs that was free on Craftsy. She made the most incredible paper pieced Doctor Who quilt for her son. It is huge and a ridiculous amount of work. I thought I could do one block as a pillow.

Here is that block.


Each one of those letters and numbers corresponds to a teeny tiny piece of fabric.

It should end up looking something like this. This was Trillium Designs' block in her son's quilt. Genius.

I have the fabric picked (Kona Navy and Kona Prussian for the Tardis, White Architextures Sketch fabric for the windows, some scraps of Reunion for the sign, some Kona Black and a scrap of yellow from Madrona Road).

100000000 pieces. Ack.
I don't know what I'm thinking. I don't like paper piecing nor am I particularly good at it. But if I can pull it off won't it be AMAZING?

My husband approved all my fabric choices except one. We had a disagreement about the background fabric. I thought it should be super crazy and colourful like the space time clouds that The Doctor is always flying through but hubby wasn't sure. He thought about it for a bit and then deferred to my choice.
Doesn't this just scream Space/Time cloud to you?
Wish me luck. I figure I'll do it a bit at a time. I need to have it done by the second week of August. Ummm, here's hoping?

Lynn

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of paper piecing. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...are you voluntarily paper piecing?!? Lol. Maybe if A hosts another sewing day, I can bring my lucky stars and you can bring Tardis and we will have a paper piecing marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing like paper piecing for a super precise finished product. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete