Friday 20 February 2015

Kona Love for the Win!

Jenn at A Quarter Inch from the Edge and I both love Kona and both complain about bundles that others put together so we decided to challenge you to curate your own Kona bundle of four (or more) colours using a photograph as inspiration.

The entries were fantastic and I was inspired by many of the bundles. Jenn selected one winner to receive a prize and I did too! The True Random Number Generator chose two, which turned out to be Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl. I think I was drawn to her cactus colour palette the most, but all of her combos were fabulous!

This delicious bundle will be heading her way:
These are from my own precious Kona stash. From the top down, Kona Steel, Melon, Stratosphere, Pacific and Ocean.








I have been getting a little bit of sewing done, but not as much as I'd like. After all, I've had many Friday finishes up until this week! I have been working on an HST quilt for a friend expecting a little girl in March. The cutting, pressing and trimming is a bit tedious so I'm not loving this step.

I did, however, have a burst of inspiration (and it helped break up the tedium of all those HSTs) when a woman at work who is expecting a baby in April was talking to me about how after two ultrasounds the technician could not identify the sex of the baby. We had a good laugh, but then I was thinking in my head about what I would do for a gender neutral quilt. I think a rainbow patchwork suits any occasion!
The vast majority of these were already cut into 5" squares because as I cut for other quilts I will often cut some charm squares at the same time. I didn't have enough of the black and white, the yellow or the orange and red so I dove into my scrap boxes for all of these. The only actual stash (rather than scrap) fabric I needed to cut was one of the black and white ones. 
Going through your stash and scrap bins to create a rainbow sure reveals what your favourites are! I have a zillion blues and turquoises and almost no yellows or reds. 

I found this so fun to pull together and I look forward to putting it all together...once I finish the last two March baby quilts I have to get done! (I sure hope those babies don't arrive early!)

Lynn


2 comments:

  1. Lynn, both your baby quilts look like they are going to be terrific! I have never seen anyone do a rainbow color scheme that heads into black and I love the effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the lovely Kona bundle. It arrived in the mail today! The colors are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete